Sunday, September 22, 2013

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

A Disappearance in Drury Lane by Ashley Gardner
 

I was anxiously awaiting the release of this book.  It’s the eighth in the Captain Gabriel Lacy seres, and it’s been a long time between visits with such good friends.  I was so excited to be able to get this as an e-book for the Kindle my housemate and I share the day it was released for sale.  And I dived right in.  I made sure the Kindle was charged up before I downloaded it, and once it was on, I read straight through to the end.

Even with nearly two years between visits, I fell right back in with Captain Lacey and his friends.  It was a fun visit, and while I raced through the book, it never felt rushed.

This episode was a mystery surrounding a missing actress.  The ins and outs of backstage at the Drury Lane theater were interesting, and there were definitely some red herrings in the mix to keep me guessing as to “whodunit.”  The new wrinkle of the Bow Street Runner out for Mr. Denis was a frustrating plot point, and I hope he is dealt with swiftly in the next episode.  I do not like this new Runner; but maybe that’s the point of his character.

It’s hard for me to say much more without spoiling the mystery, so I will say that A Disappearance in Drury Lane was a most enjoyable and entertaining way to spend a Saturday.  I really can’t wait for the next installment.  I hope I do not have to wait another two years.

One Bear’s Opinion:  Four Cups of Tea with warm scones and clotted cream
 

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment