Sunday, June 5, 2016

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

A Sprig of Blossomed Thorn by Patrice Greenwood

This is the second book in the Wisteria Tearoom Mystery series. It was fun to read and interesting. I have not read a book with this particular method of murder before so it was creative and different. Mysteries are by their nature formulaic — there has to be a puzzle to solve and then the investigators, whether professional or amateur, solve the puzzle. This was an interesting and different puzzle to be solved. The solution was fairly ordinary, but the mystery was creative enough to make the ordinariness of the solution acceptable. I suppose it’s hard for authors to be creative and original with each plot part of every book.

I like the characters, but the preaching nature of the relationships between the characters got a bit annoying. I don’t mind when the author’s personal beliefs shape the books, but I do not know it when the books are overly preachy or hit the reader over the head with the point the author is trying to make. Give the reader some information and then let the reader take up the cause, or not, as the reader desires. Too much preaching is a sure way to lose readers and have your cause be drowned out or glossed over.

I will probably read the next-in-series, but if the preachiness continues, I will absolutely give up on this series, despite my caring for the characters. Life is far too short and time is far too precious to waste it being lectured at as though I am incapable of forming my own opinions in my leisure reading.

One Bear’s Opinion: Four cups of hibiscus tea with a plate of sweet and savory treats

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment